If you visit here often, you’ll know I’ve mentioned little Pibbin several times….
He’s a cute little frog….and he has captured the heart of my little guy
We recently read the first book about Pibbin: Pibbin the Small
It is a sweet book by Gloria Repp (yes, the author of A Question of Yams!)
This sweet little frog takes us on a journey. His friend, Sheera, the turtle, was hit by a truck while crossing a dirt road. Pibbin, a small frog seeks a friend to take a journey with him from Friendship Bog to Wild Bog! Can you imagine? Being a little frog going from one place…with such a nice name to another with a name…that well, brings frightening thoughts to mind?
He makes the trip…it challenges his heart, his spirit and his courage. He seeks out a Dr….who is a chipmunk…who can help heal his friend. However, the Dr’s supplies have been taken…by a greedy character…and Pibbin’s courage is shown in ways that will make you laugh and cry!
All of my children enjoyed this story. We sat and read it together, as our read aloud. When I received the book I was afraid my older children would not be interested in it….but they were. They begged me to read and read….and I finished reading the book to my little guy in the ER one night. My older children were not too terribly happy to hear we had finished it without them…so, we all sat down and finished together.
This book…will forever be cherished in our home…It has captured my little boy’s imagination and has spurred him on…in his desire to learn to read….
Here is a picture of him…sitting and picking out words he knew…he was so excited to see that he, too…could read about Pibbin…His friend, who now travels the world with him!
If you would like to read a sample chapter, you can: HERE
And…I have to share this over at Amanda’s Top Ten Tuesday…because
1. Pibbin teaches about: Friendship
2. …and Courage
3. Doing the right thing….is not always the easy thing
4. The pictures are really cute
5. Gloria has some GREAT resources on her website that include a visit to Friendship Blog
6. The ending was GREAT, but the children were sad to see the story was over.
7. It reminded my children that little people can do big things too…(yes, like in the veggie tales)
8. I felt comfortable reading this entire book….no mention of anything I would not want my children to read alone!
9. This sweet book helped us with our nature studies on frogs and lizards!
10. Pibbin encouraged my little boy to pick up any book and start identifying the words he knows…not worry about the ones he doesn’t (YET)
Have you ever read a book by Gloria? I would love to hear about it (come back soon…I’ll share about Pibbin’s next adventure: The Story Shell.
We received a free copy of this book in exchange for our honest opinion. No other compensation was received.
Please note, this post contains affiliate links. See disclosure for full information