Memorial Day brings back a plethora of memories for me. Does it do the same for you?
As a child, I can’t really remember how/if we celebrated it. As an adult…it has meaning. And I can’t help but wonder, are we losing the true meaning of Memorial Day?
Has it become merely a day of cookouts, food and fun?
Honestly, we should be having fun! We should be celebrating!
But, WHAT are we celebrating?
To me, having a celebration is so much fun….and a celebration is even more fun when you can include friends and family.
If you REALLY want to add something special to a celebration – add the knowledge of WHY you are celebrating.
Memorial Day began after the Civil War – a way to remember all who had fallen.
Since then….we can now remember all who have fallen in all of America’s battles.
WHY? – Simple, the Price of FREEDOM…..is not FREE!
Someone has to pay the cost….
John Kennedy’s quote in his inaugural speech is truly the epitome of understanding the cost…not just the pay it one time and move on cost of freedom….but the cost that each and Every American should be mindful of every day…
“Ask not what your country can do for you- ask what you can do for your country.”
Beautiful isn’t it….but, i LOVE the next line..
“My fellow citizens of the world, ask not what America will do for you,
but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”
This weekend and in the days to come -consider this. Consider America’s History. Consider how we can help others gain freedom, while regaining freedoms we have lost and are losing daily in America. Consider the implementation of laws based on the UN CRC – consider signing the petition to regain and maintain your Parental Rights. Consider…..men, women and children have paid the price…dearly, with their lives and finances….to ensure freedom….and to help grow true freedom across this beautiful earth upon which we were granted by our Heavenly Father to subdue and steward for HIS glory!
Teach your children the truth.
- Your family heritage.
- Do you know where your ancestors came from?
- Do you know how many of your ancestors fought in the American Revolution or Civil War?
- I recently began tracking our family lineage back and was so blessed to discover how many of my relatives did fight in both of these battles….through paperwork identifying Sons of The American Revolution
- Did you serve in the military? Share your experiences with your children!
- Read about and discuss the battles of the Revolutionary and Civil War
- Visit local sites..
- When you go on vacation, identify various locations across the US
- Various Websites can help you with this… (here are two…there are MANY more!)
- Dig Deeper Into Our American History (here are two ways to dig deeper…that are many more sites to utilize)
Let’s have fun, find joy and the many blessings afforded us by those who have paid the price.
Let’s not forget.
Let’s count our blessings and be thankful!
I am thankful to have served in our military. The lessons learned and the way I learned to ‘serve’ and work with others…can never be taken away. My husband served….he lost friends during Desert Storm. We witnessed the devastation war can have on the human mind. But, we have also experienced the freedom….brought about by that price.
What are you thankful for? How are you teaching/learning about Memorial Day?
Photo credit: dixiehwy
Please note, this post contains affiliate links. See disclosure for full information