As we celebrate Father’s Day, I want to share a book with you about the Father’s of our Country…and a gift I recently shared with my husband.
Yes, I shared the gift of a book with my husband.
Why? Because we have been on a history reading frenzy for two years now.
Our eyes have been opened to the lack of true history we learned growing up…and we are determined not to pass that legacy down to our children.
We want to pass down a legacy built on the truth about history, including history of the United States of America.
For the past several months we have been reading through For You They Signed by Marilyn Boyer.
This book is so rich and full of American History and truth! It is a great tribute to the men and families behind our Declaration of Indpendence and a GREAT way to prepare for the 4th of July – the day we, as Americans celebrate July 4th, 1776!!!
For You They Signed is based on the lives of the Signers of the Declaration of Independence. It will take you to a whole new level, though! It identifies God’s Providential design for America.
It’s not just a book for you to read, though. You can use it for unit studies, individual studies, historical studies, character growth and devotions!
I love the way the book begins with suggestions on how to use the book, documents that show who signed the Declaration of Independence, a copy of the Declaration of Independence, a typed (easy to read copy follows that. Then, the book is divided into sections.
Each section is based on the State represented and the signers for that State. Each person is identified through their own section, with historical facts that you would require great research to find. Yet, Marilyn Boyer has wrapped it up, quite nicely for you! In total, you learn about the 13 states and the 56 signers!
My Husband and I began reading it to learn and identify character traits we wanted to instill in our children (and ourselves). I began using it with the children as we completed a unit study about Benjamin Franklin…..
Here is a sample of what we learned about Benjamin Franklin from: For You They Signed:
- Considered: ”The Father of Our First Excellent Constitution”
- Timeline of Public service (I’m almost positive this man never slept!)
- Where he was born and that he was self-educated!
- How he learned the printing trade and the way in which he was able to slip his work into his brother’s paper by using a Pen Name
- His life after he left home
- His journey across the sea
- How he developed (and quotes from) Poor Richard’s Almanac
- various other facts about his life and impact upon America that truly can only be attributed to God’s Providential design for his life and how he would impact the United States!
disclosure: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion. No other compensation was received.Please note, this post contains affiliate links. See disclosure for full information