When we began homeschooling, I was scared, happy, elated…..and without a clue.
As I grow as a person and a Mom, I realize how little I truly know…how much there is to learn and how fun it is learning with my children. Now, don’t get that statement wrong, I went to school, I graduated highschool and went on to graduate summa cum laude after our third child was born.
I guess you can say, I have never truly accomplished anything in a traditional manner, so homeschooling, while it dates back to the beginning of time, it is not ‘traditional’ for this day and age….and that is part of what makes it exciting for me…..
This year, I am a little giddy about homeschool, I’ll admit it. While we have pretty much transitioned to school year round with ‘breaks’ thrown in, we do have a differentiation between the ‘years’. We have been on an extended break for the last…mmm….almost 3 months! BUT, we have had some amazing ‘learning’ going on. I took this break because our state just changed some of our reporting laws and I don’t like dealing with red tape….so, I just sat back and watched until the dust settled…and don’t tell the kids….we officially ‘started’ back yesterday….but, we already have 10 days into this new school year……and with that, I’ll explain why I am excited about this school year…
I’m so stinking excited about next year’s three conferences, I can’t stand it and I can’t wait to go. Last year’s conference was so amazing and filled with true fellowship and speakers to help understand how to implement Discipleship in the home….it has turned our homeschool and family into one that well…I never dreamed of!
2. My Children Are Excited -
- Just yesterday, we read from our ApologiaAstronomy Science and Who Am I (worldview from Apologia)…and my sweet girl came up to me after, gave me a big hug and said, “Mommy, at first, I was a little sad we were going to do a little school, but then, I was so happy to hear what you were reading and how we worked together….Mommy, thank you for teaching us and I love our Science and Worldview – why doesn’t everyone do this?”
- NO, this is not what happens every day. This is one of those moments….that keeps you going during those tough days…..
- My little guy is determined to be in 1st grade (he isn’t quite ready and we have talked about it….) but he sat down and worked in his Junior Notebook and was so proud to show it to Daddy last night and explain all that he had learned about Saturn…
- INSERT Mommy Melting heart…cause this kid has my number!
- My oldest….well, he gobbles it all up, reads with great intensity and I think I’ll be bumping him up to middle school work this year….
3. Our New Planners -
I had an opportunity after Apologia Live (which is now Real Refreshment) to sit and talk with Deb Bell about the planners she has developed for Moms and children….and while we have started the school year (finishing up some things from last year), I can NOT wait to take a 24 reprieve, sit, pray and identify our school year next year…. AND using her method, I will be able to teach my children how to use their own planners. As a Project Manager (by trade and profession)….that’s really exciting for me!
4. We are finding our groove
It took 3 years….different curriculum, different circumstances and we have finally found our groove. That groove….is one that is just full of constant change. My children love learning through various media…all year long. Me, I’m finally comfortable not having text books, not going into the school year with absolutely everything and when necessary, switching gears…and knowing God’s got it!
5. Knowing I can’t cover it all
I know I can not cover every single little thing. But, I do know that helping my children learn to think….not what to think is so key. I realized this…this past year, as I stood crying as I poured over my daughter’s scores on her standardized test (our state requires homeschoolers take standardized tests in 3, 6, 9 and 12th grades). I knew i had not covered every little thing with her last year and my own pride was afraid that she would not do well. Well, God showed up, showed me it wasn’t about Him and by keeping Him first, He will and does bless us. Her scores were phenomenal……and I had not taught to the test, nor based on what our school system is teaching….
6. Dad is in control
I LOVE that my Husband understands his role in our family. He is the leader…he finalizes all plans, approves all that we are learning and truly desires to be part of our learning/teaching process. He can’t be here to do it, but he is part of it….and I LOVE watching the kids scramble to be the first to say: ”Daddy, Guess What I did today!”
7. Fun Field Trips
I’m lining up next year’s field trips… A friend called me yesterday and while she lives in another state, we are only 2 hours away from one another. We are planning field trips in the middle…as she brings one of her sweet ones home to homeschool. AND….after meeting up with a few sweet moms in another state this year, I think this will be a great year for packing our bags on a whim and driving to some of the places we are learning about!
8. Our School/book room is already organized!
I was able to purchase a new book/organization shelf and baskets…and it has really given us more space in our ‘book’ room. And, a few weeks ago, I tore the room apart, organized our books…and can’t believe how I was able to get it back together.
9. I’m a Book Junkie
There, I said it. When I go to the book store….oh man…it’s like a candy store for me when I was little. Are you the same way? I would just sit and read all day if I could…….
10. We Can Do Our ‘thang’
- My oldest LOVES skateboarding…..homeschooling allows us to be at the parks when they are empty and he can get more practice in…
- My Middle loves wearing pajamas…..and she can without embarrassment
- My little loves hugging and kissing on the teacher (me)…and he can do that all he wants…
- Me, I can be me, let my hair down, not wear make up, I can kiss the principle, fish/hunt with my family….
- and last but not least…
- We can learn about God, His Word and Pray throughout the day without fear or reprisal!!!
And so…I am excited about this new school year, the opportunity to learn with my children. No adjustments necessary…since we are already together, I don’t go through the transition of having them home, not home and back home again….no rushing, no tears over clothes (ok, sometimes we do)….but, we can be relaxed and focus on what’s most important….
Our children’s hearts…..
That makes me excited!
What are you excited about this year?
Subscribers can share their excitement here.…