I loved going to Sunday School as a child. I thought it was fun. As a Mom, who was not saved until I became an adult and began researching what was really going on in the heart of so many churches, I became disheartened by Sunday School and really began praying about discipling my children’s hearts. That research (and prayers) lead to finding mentors and recently, an opportunity to review and use the first and second quarter of the Answers Bible Curriculum in our home.
The first thing that jumped out at me after I opened the (very well packaged) curriculum, is the mission statement in the Teacher Introduction:
Answers Bible Curriculum was developed to present the gospel, beginning in Genesis, to all generations; to train believers to know, obey, and defend God’s Word, and to encourage believers to become conformed to the image of Christ.
As I continued to dig into the curriculum, I became very excited about the program – and using it in our home (and I would LOVE to see it in our church, as well).
How does ABC Teach The Gospel?
The ABC Curriculum teaches the Gospel chronologically and to ALL ages. It is set up as a three-year curriculum with the 12 quarters and 13 weeks per quarter. (You can use it as a 4 year curriculum, if you decide to break for the summer.) And because it has been created chronologically for all ages, it is also synchronized. So, each age/grade level is taught the same thing – just at different levels based on their ability to understand and learn the lessons.
How We are Using It
Every morning, we begin our day with the Bible. While we have been focusing on one book of the Bible every month, I have been wanting to add something that provides more content, activities and apologetics. So, after we read our chapter (or two) in the book of the Bible we have selected for the month, we spend an hour going through a lesson in the Answers Bible Curriculum.
While the lessons are designed for a church Sunday School program, it has been easy to integrate it into our home. Instead of only using it one day a week, we go through one lesson every two days. That gives us two days to go through a lesson and really dig in.
That also gives the children a night to read through the Bible verses the take home sheets recommend each week, a chance to talk over the lesson with Dad, time to have fun with some of the activities (like seeing the world through goggles with grease on them to understand how using different ‘glasses’ to view the world impacts our thoughts and ideas.), and we don’t feel rushed.
Currently, we have the 5th/6th grade version. However, I use it with all of my children. Because our little guy is used to listening to all of our Bible studies, he is able to keep up – or we slow down and I explain things to him. This has also proven a great way for my older children to help teach their little brother. For me, well, I’m learning beside them, while also guiding them.
What is Included?
The ABC Curriculum is set up into various components that make it easy to use at church or at home. In the teachers kit, you receive a
- Teacher Introduction: Provides you with the Mission, overview as to why AiG developed the curriculum, guiding principles, scope/sequence, summary, how to use the curriculum and many more ways to help a parent at home or a member of a church implement the program with success and more importantly, a true understanding of discipleship and utilizing God’s word properly.
- Teacher Guide- This contains the lesson overview, background material, materials list, preparation instructions, scripted lessons and instructions. I LOVe the teacher guide because of the historical and apologetics it provides me, as a Mom. It is quick to help me understand more about what I am teaching and always reminds me how important it is for me to be in the Bible and praying to God to open my eyes and heart to His word.
- View a Sample of the Teacher Guide HERE
- Student Take Home Sheets – these sheets give each child Bible verses to read during the week and different activities to work on. It also has notes to parents to help guide them and provide easy ways for them to become more involved in discipling their children.
- View a Sample of the Student Take Home Sheets HERE
- Resource DVD-ROM
- Lesson Theme Posters- Each lesson has one or more 8.5*11 color posters that have depict the lesson in pictures/words on one side and an overview on the back.
- View a Sample of the Lesson Theme Poster HERE
- Memory Verse Posters
- Classroom/Home Posters
- The Attributes of God
- The Ten Commandments
- How to Study the Bible
- Books of the Bible
Overall, we give the ABC Sunday School Curriculum two thumbs up. The entire package equips the teacher and students with a phenomenal foundation to truly become conformed to the image of Christ.
You can purchase your ABC Sunday School Curriculum HERE
- Complete Set (All Ages) for One Quarter
- Complete Set (All Ages) All 4 quarters
- Kits for Each Age (starting at $32.99)
Please visit AiG and AiG Homeschool online:
Enter to Win two semesters of the Answers Bible Curriculum (you select the age you want to use in your home or church)
Note: I received Q1 and Q2 of the 5th/6th Grace Answers Bible Curriculum in exchange for my honest opinion. No other compensation has been or will be received – except through the affiliate links that I have used in this post. The affiliate links are ways to support our homeschool. You do not pay more or less using them, but Answers in Genesis is kind enough to help provide a small percentage back to those who help them share their products with others who purchase through individual affiliate links. Thank you!Please note, this post contains affiliate links. See disclosure for full information